Sunday, November 3, 2013

Queens Zoo!


So, I'm taking a course at Queens College called the Natural History of NYC, which is an awesome class to learn about the different animals and plants that are in the NYC area even though we have to memorize about 400+ organisms, BUT as I am aspiring to be a bio teacher, it definitely helps to know some of these organisms.

So, every week we go on a trip to find and identify different organisms that we have learned and on one of the days, we went to the Queens Zoo! I had lived on Long Island almost all my life and I had never been to there (actually I didn't even know that it existed! - -;;). Anyways, this is a wonderful little (compared to Bronx Zoo) outdoor zoo right near the NY Hall of Science. There are so many different birds and ducks there and they have a really cool dome shaped aviary that you can walk through and observe birds flying all around you. Birders, you guys should definitely check this place out!

Here are some of the pictures that I had took on my visit:

  


This is a female (top) and male wood duck.




               This is a snowy owl, just like Hedwig from Harry Potter!






Bald eagle up close! Couldn't believe it wasn't flying away!





This is the duck pond with beautiful fall foliage showing!  There were so many different types of ducks, I couldn't believe it!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment